Thursday, March 17, 2011

Rear brakes are shot, they only lasted 139K! LOL



My sincere appologies to my neighbors for teaching the children a new language as I changed me rear brakes in the driveway! Man, I have never seen anything like that on US cars. I got far enough into it that I couldn't turn back. Once I got one side finished, the other wasn't bad.



Word of advice after the fact...... buy the hardware kit too. The pins that go thru the backing plate are looking a little crusty and probably should have been replaced. The drums after 139K are looking like they are not long for this world either. Not that the braking surface is bad, the thing is rusting and scaling away. I lost the balance weights long ago too.



Well, if they only fail every 139K, I guess it's worth the aggravation.

Reply 1 : Rear brakes are shot, they only lasted 139K! LOL



No pics or walkthrough? For shame!

Reply 2 : Rear brakes are shot, they only lasted 139K! LOL



They're typical Toyota drum brakes...nothing out of the ordinary from what I saw when I checked them awhile back. I'm at 108K miles now and am wondering how much longer they'll last. One question I had for you HotRod was whether you turned the drums? I'm thinking there won't be enough left to turn them and they'll have to be replaced. Please tell me I'm wrong on that guess. When I took them off last time, it was a PITA because the shoes had worn such deep channels (width of the shoes) in the drums that the drum edge would catch on the shoes since it now has a lip. And as anyone knows, it's a pain to try and backoff the shoes using the adjuster in the back side! One guy over on TW changed his rears and didn't turn them. He's now got a clicking from the spring each time he hits the brakes. I'm guessing his new shoes are shifting sideways into the old channel and the mounting spring is making the noise. I think he'll be turning his drums soon.

Reply 3 : Rear brakes are shot, they only lasted 139K! LOL



Thats alot of miles alright. You must not tow or haul much. I just replaced mine at 77,000 and resurfaced the drums. Tow a 3,000lb trailer camping with a brake controller but I guess it still puts a bit of a toll on the brakes. Still not bad.

Reply 4 : Rear brakes are shot, they only lasted 139K! LOL



I do tow occasionally and a few times pretty heavy, firewood, a 16' boat, dirtbikes, a car trailer with a rolling chassis with engine.



My drums looked good as did the shoes, just worn thin. Based on changing shoes in the old days, I really didn't even concider it, I just changed them. The drums looked good other then the huge scales around the lip. Because Toyota has a lip around the backing plate that the drum fits into, I was concerned that the scale would scrape. I had to chip some of the scale away. I would not even bother cutting these drums, in hind site, I should have just replaced them. After 139K, I think the have served their purpose.



The biggest thing that I should have done but didn't was change the hold down pins for the shoes. They didn't look real good due to corrosion. I'm thinking that pins and drums are in my future. When I saw the shoes, my main concern was getting them replaced, there wasn't a whole lot left.



I also learned never use a shoulder bolt to screw into the drums for removal, either don't screw it all the way in, or get a bolt that is threaded all the way up. On the last drum I screwed it in beyond the thread and up onto the shoulder. The shoulder being thinner just lets it sit there and spin, I was unable to get the bolt backed out again. Fortunately the drum was far enough off that I could get it removed, I then had to cut off the bolt with a cutoff wheel, there was no getting it out.



I guess I was suprised to see adjusters on the top instead of the bottom. I have never seen clips that you bend to hold things in place. The springs were stronger that what I was used to on American brakes. The setup was completely different that I was used to, crazy looking arms that have teeth that mest with other crazy arms on the opposite side.

Reply 5 : Rear brakes are shot, they only lasted 139K! LOL




Quote:








Originally Posted by HotRod53
View Post

.....

I guess I was suprised to see adjusters on the top instead of the bottom. I have never seen clips that you bend to hold things in place. The springs were stronger that what I was used to on American brakes. The setup was completely different that I was used to, crazy looking arms that have teeth that mest with other crazy arms on the opposite side.



Sounds like something typical of dual-servo drum brakes, I guess you weren't familiar with them? I know it will be a first for me when I get there... and the heavier springs I guess would be expected of a generally bigger brake setup for a truck.



It's a very good thing these brakes last a long time 'cause I don't look forward to doing the work!

Reply 6 : Rear brakes are shot, they only lasted 139K! LOL



I'm hoping mine last as long as yours have! I changed the front brakes last November around 40K and the rears looked fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment