Saturday, March 19, 2011

T-SB-0287-10, ECM/TCM Calibration: Shift Feeling Enhancement, 2010-11, I4











To improve the shifting performance and smoothness during acceleration, the Engine Control Module (ECM, SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) and Transaxle Control Module (TCM) calibration
has been revised. Use the following repair procedure to address customer concerns.




















Reply 1 : T-SB-0287-10, ECM/TCM Calibration: Shift Feeling Enhancement, 2010-11, I4



thanks for posting good info for us.

Reply 2 : T-SB-0287-10, ECM/TCM Calibration: Shift Feeling Enhancement, 2010-11, I4



how do i tell if my VIN is before the production VIN listed? mine is 4T1BF3EK4BU6#####.

Reply 3 : T-SB-0287-10, ECM/TCM Calibration: Shift Feeling Enhancement, 2010-11, I4




Quote:








Originally Posted by evilxsharky
View Post

how do i tell if my VIN is before the production VIN listed? mine is 4T1BF3EK4BU6#####.



It's not that difficult.

If your last 5 digits are before these,

,

it is involved.



(The # between the K and B are a "check-sum" for your VIN. So it can be any digit.)

Reply 4 : T-SB-0287-10, ECM/TCM Calibration: Shift Feeling Enhancement, 2010-11, I4



oh, ok thanks! i guess mine is involved then since the next number is 0. but usually these TSBs are just voluntary fixes if you have that type of problem right?

Reply 5 : T-SB-0287-10, ECM/TCM Calibration: Shift Feeling Enhancement, 2010-11, I4




Quote:








Originally Posted by evilxsharky
View Post

oh, ok thanks! i guess mine is involved then since the next number is 0. but usually these TSBs are just voluntary fixes if you have that type of problem right?



A TSB is normally not released to the general public. Most owners do not know there is a problem, because their dealer is the only contact. So the standard reply from the dealer is: "No problem found, operating within designed parameters". Sometimes you have to take the TSB to the dealer.......

It took me three months to get a TSB applied to my 07, which corrected the problem, I don't go there with my 11, now.

Reply 6 : T-SB-0287-10, ECM/TCM Calibration: Shift Feeling Enhancement, 2010-11, I4




Quote:








Originally Posted by evilxsharky
View Post

TSBs are just voluntary fixes if you have that type of problem right?



TSB = technical service bulletin. Its not the same as a recall.



I'll use the one posted as an example. Say you take your car into a Toyota dealership and complain that your transmission shifts kinda rough during acceleration.



A tech will verify your complaint, then they should look for TSBs that may relate to your complaint. If they actually do this or not is up to the tech.

Reply 7 : T-SB-0287-10, ECM/TCM Calibration: Shift Feeling Enhancement, 2010-11, I4



If you qualify VIN wise, take it in and complain about shifting and tell them you want this TSB applied.



There is no instruction included in this TSB to tell the tech that your problem has to be verified.



I had no shifting problem but took mine in for both the previous ECM calibrations and I did notice a difference of smoother shifting and better cruise control engagement and down shifts.

Reply 8 : T-SB-0287-10, ECM/TCM Calibration: Shift Feeling Enhancement, 2010-11, I4



Thank you for the notice on this. I'm going to ask them to apply this to my 2011 when it goes for the 2nd free service on Saturday. I've remarked to them before about shifting smoothness, and at the time, it was "normal" with no TSB available to fix it (and I knew this was the case).



Has anyone had this applied to their car? I'm anxious to have it done on mine.

Reply 9 : T-SB-0287-10, ECM/TCM Calibration: Shift Feeling Enhancement, 2010-11, I4



For what it's worth, they applied this to my fairly early 2011 model (126,###) yesterday and just on the short drive home, I can tell a whale of a difference. The torque converter doesn't seem to engage as strongly, and the engine braking on deceleration doesn't seem to be as strong now. My biggest complaint was when you would coast down to about 44 mph, it would downshift to 4th, then if you lightly picked back up the throttle, it'd shift right back into 5th, and often with a clunk. It now seems to wait until about 42 mph to downshift, and will upshift at about 46 mph, so there's some more window there.



I would know more on the way to work Monday, in more traffic, but so far, it was definitely worth doing.



By the way, my dealer's bulk oil for 0W-20 applications has moved from Toyota's 0W-20 to Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0W-20. The Q/S is so clear, you can't hardly see it on the dipstick. And the engine is super quiet on this stuff.

Reply 10 : T-SB-0287-10, ECM/TCM Calibration: Shift Feeling Enhancement, 2010-11, I4



Help, I am have difficulty understanding whether or not my 2011 4cy Camry SE qualifies for this TSB. I am not sure how to determine which assembly line it came off of and whether or not it is a PZEV or Non PZEV. My VIN :

4T1BF3EK6BU667620.



Thanks

Reply 11 : T-SB-0287-10, ECM/TCM Calibration: Shift Feeling Enhancement, 2010-11, I4




Quote:








Originally Posted by DWVANDY
View Post

Help, I am have difficulty understanding whether or not my 2011 4cy Camry SE qualifies for this TSB. I am not sure how to determine which assembly line it came off of and whether or not it is a PZEV or Non PZEV. My VIN :

4T1BF3EK6BU667620.



Thanks



Line 2, does not qualify......

Reply 12 : T-SB-0287-10, ECM/TCM Calibration: Shift Feeling Enhancement, 2010-11, I4



How does one ascertain whether the car was TMMK Line 1 or 2? I don't see any designation on the window sticker. My Vin 4TBF3EK4BU662982.

I have a similar feel to the shifting as JasonA, in partial or off throttle situations.

Reply 13 : T-SB-0287-10, ECM/TCM Calibration: Shift Feeling Enhancement, 2010-11, I4




Quote:








Originally Posted by Bobmws
View Post

How does one ascertain whether the car was TMMK Line 1 or 2? I don't see any designation on the window sticker. My Vin 4TBF3EK4BU662982.

I have a similar feel to the shifting as JasonA, in partial or off throttle situations.



In your case, it doesn't matter the Line: your VIN (662,###) is after the production change in either case. This means (in theory at least) that your car already has the updated software. I'm sure the dealer would know which Line the car came off on, but again, in either case, your VIN is AFTER the production change breakpoint.

Reply 14 : T-SB-0287-10, ECM/TCM Calibration: Shift Feeling Enhancement, 2010-11, I4



I drove to Savannah today, a 4.5 hour drive. So I have some seat time. I'm not sure now whether the shifting was dramatically changed. As the transmission has re-learned life on the road, I think the shifting is similar to before, or at least smoothed a very small amount.



What's most dramatic, and appreciated by me, is throttle tip-in is VASTLY improved. I think the calibration changed the DBW throttle programming. You used to get nothing for the first 1/2" of the throttle pedal, then it very quickly ramped up the signal it seemed. You had to be very ginger with the throttle. Now it seems like you have a good inch-and-a-half of freeboard to feather with and the transmission responds very smoothly and engages smoothly. Even a monkey can take off smoothly from a stop now. The 1/2" of dead zone is still there at the very beginning of pedal travel, but it doesn't matter much anymore. You can quickly push through it knowing you won't spin the tires when the throttle quickly ramps up.



In other words: it drives like it should now.

No comments:

Post a Comment