Monday, March 21, 2011

Turn your stock intake into CAI/partial ram air, using no aftermarket parts!



So I know there's about 400 threads with installing intakes, but I have a two'fer here, I'll show how to use stock mounting parts for a wonderful cold air/partial rammed air feed, you can do this on the stock intake too, and it doesn't require any aftermarket parts save one hose clamp and a flat head, and youll get a cold air feed, I put an aftermarket k&n filter, took out the silencer and used a bigger tube, but at first I was using stock parts. I'm doing this tomorrow so I'll take pics and post, hope for a sunshiny day.

Reply 1 : Turn your stock intake into CAI/partial ram air, using no aftermarket parts!



will just getting cold air do anything though? i dont believe it will get better hp

Reply 2 : Turn your stock intake into CAI/partial ram air, using no aftermarket parts!



Make sure you get lots and lots of quality pics.

Reply 3 : Turn your stock intake into CAI/partial ram air, using no aftermarket parts!




Quote:








Originally Posted by littleboi64
View Post

will just getting cold air do anything though? i dont believe it will get better hp



well it may not do a huge increase in horsepower or any at all, but it definately will increase throttle response and fuel economy, colder air is better, and since this is partial ram air it makes airflow more, if you top it with a K&N or TRD air filter, take out the silencer, and increase tubing size, you definately will have a good little CAI, and then you'll notice a little horsepower increase(i noticed a great mpg increase and throttle response increase)

Reply 4 : Turn your stock intake into CAI/partial ram air, using no aftermarket parts!



hell yeah... 1-2 hp gain ftw

Reply 5 : Turn your stock intake into CAI/partial ram air, using no aftermarket parts!




Quote:








Originally Posted by Dave-o
View Post

hell yeah... 1-2 hp gain ftw



I'm sorry, Its just too funny, I didn't mean anything...

Reply 6 : Turn your stock intake into CAI/partial ram air, using no aftermarket parts!




Quote:








Originally Posted by Dave-o
View Post

hell yeah... 1-2 hp gain ftw



that means a lot more throttle response, and a 2 hp increase using stock parts? That's more then worth it, I know people who spend 400 just for 10 hp.. So don't knock it until you find a cheaper easier way to increase hp.

Reply 7 : Turn your stock intake into CAI/partial ram air, using no aftermarket parts!



Every HP adds up & before you know it you may have +10 hp & better throttle response that provides a much better driving experience.

Reply 8 : Turn your stock intake into CAI/partial ram air, using no aftermarket parts!



i am a little confused here, are you using just the stock parts to do this ? or any weapon-r parts as well ? or running a hybrid between the two ? cause ur title thread says weapon-r w/cold air feed, and the simplest way to do that wud be to install the weapon-r intake, then route the provided ram air kit to somewhere for the cold air.

Reply 9 : Turn your stock intake into CAI/partial ram air, using no aftermarket parts!




Quote:








Originally Posted by kniterider09
View Post

i am a little confused here, are you using just the stock parts to do this ? or any weapon-r parts as well ? or running a hybrid between the two ? cause ur title thread says weapon-r w/cold air feed, and the simplest way to do that wud be to install the weapon-r intake, then route the provided ram air kit to somewhere for the cold air.



I'm showing both using weapon r parts, and the system I was using, using mostly stock parts. And putting it in a location that's cold air/partial ram air, and in a good mounted spot that should and could have been done from factory.

Reply 10 : Turn your stock intake into CAI/partial ram air, using no aftermarket parts!



Just got done installing and I'm a happy boy , I'd say the trickiest part of the instal was to get that tube bent around the front with it still clamped on and not touching the break booster or the ECM! WTF they coulda made that a little better, and the pcv tubeong was kinda a joke, I'm gonna go to Kragen and pick up some new thicker stuff that will work. I havnt really noticed a whole lot of gain yet, maybe a little throttle response, but my ECM has to get used to it first, so I was driving around with WOT for a while , I noticed a huge sound increase along with my amazing pipes I was turning heads more then Usual. I'll post up pics once I can steal some Internet somewhere(I'll head to my friends house in a few), and I took lots of pics of my ride, you can check it out on cardomain by searching kmfracing530. I got both my beautys on there . Well happy posting and hope you all can figure out how to use this cold air feed to the best use.

Reply 11 : Turn your stock intake into CAI/partial ram air, using no aftermarket parts!



Oh god how noobilicious of me, I spelt brake break.

Reply 12 : Turn your stock intake into CAI/partial ram air, using no aftermarket parts!



what my setup was, k&n with cold air feed.

my aftermarket tube(you can use stock tube it comes with)

this is the part that actually requires something aftermarket, you need a hose clamp after you pull out the wierd tube thingy you'll need a flat head to seperate the plastic part from the spongy tube.(its glued)

tube down the hole. you'll want to remove the white plastic silencer(it doesnt really silence much.)

this is the piece that does it all, its attached to the spongey hose.

this is the screw underneath the driver side fog light, this is the screw that will be holding the previous tube in place.

this is how the tube will look when attached underneath, screwed in by the stock screw shown.

this is where it somewhat gets rammed air(i moved the little plastic piece to kinda deflect air sideways into it, theres two of them, one on each side, and they're normally straight, they dont break if you move them left or right, and it serves as a directional wall.

Reply 13 : Turn your stock intake into CAI/partial ram air, using no aftermarket parts!



heres the new weapon r intake and supplied hose.

heres the tube attached to the air tube i pictured earlier.

heres the tube attached and pointed straight towards the grille, and sucking in lots of nice cold air

my finished masterpiece



go to http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3840245 to check out all my stuff.

Reply 14 : Turn your stock intake into CAI/partial ram air, using no aftermarket parts!



and with that i conclude my genius finding, and hope you all are soon on your way to a very nice cold air/ partial ram air feed(its not actually ram air, i know, dont jump down my throat.), i tried to detail as much as i could(i dont have all the stock pieces, i wish i would have pictured it all when i first did it) if any questions post and ill try answering. the new weapon R is AMAZING, it sounds throaty kinda "turbo"ish the way its choppy sounding on the intake, and now that i took a lil drive down to auburn(about 50 miles round trip) my ecu is pretty set and loving the new air its getting. and im loving the smoothness of acceleration that has been added, and im still getting great mpg. happy posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment